The Bulldog Byte

Filed under News, Showcase, Student Life

Let’s Help A Bulldog Out

Back to Article
Back to Article

Let’s Help A Bulldog Out

We have all seen her somewhere, whether in the halls interviewing students, running around with a camera, or on RCTV. Shelby Doroshow has always been active in giving her talents, passions, and time to the school and community. Now it’s Shelby who needs our help to pursue her passion as a filmmaker.

This summer, Shelby wrote and produced a documentary covering the experience of her her weight loss, where she describes her struggles and her decision for Gastric Sleeve weight loss surgery at the age of 17, and submitted it to the American High School Film Festival. The American High School Film Festival is the most well recognized and largest high school film festival and includes the largest film school college fair, interactive technology showcases, access to distinguished individuals of the industry, a small red carpet event, and the Teen Indie awards.

Shelby was astounded and excited to discover that she was nominated as one of the finalists. This meant she was invited to take part in the All American High School Film Festival, her film will be played in Times Square, and, most important to Shelby, would have an opportunity for a scholarship of $10,000.

But there was a catch. Shelby would have to physically attend the 2017 October awards ceremony in New York City to have this opportunity.

This is her problem. How is she going to get to that awards ceremony? The minimum traveling cost is around $1000 for her and her father, which is more than she is able to pay. Her first thought was to seek support from her RCTV family, but she found that the school is not permitted to support student activities not directly related to the school. In order to work around this issue, she has created a GoFundMe account and is asking for the support of her fellow Bulldogs.

Shelby says, “This festival is a once in a lifetime opportunity and by far the biggest accomplishment I’ve had. The film I made is very close to my heart and it would mean the world to me to be able to attend and represent RCISD and RCHS all the way in New York City.”

Let’s help support our peer to pursue her passions! Every penny counts.

The GoFundMe account can be found at https://www.gofundme.com/help-me-see-my-film-in-nyc-theater

1 Comment

One Response to “Let’s Help A Bulldog Out”

1. Jennifer Thomason on September 8th, 2017 5:14 pm

Good luck!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Let’s Help A Bulldog Out

Opinion

“Mrs. Packard”

• Let’s Help A Bulldog Out

Showcase

An American Crisis

• Let’s Help A Bulldog Out

Showcase

We’ve got Spirit!

• Let’s Help A Bulldog Out

Showcase

Valentine’s Day: A Day to Love or Hate?

• Let’s Help A Bulldog Out

Showcase

Who needs PROM when you have MORP?

• Let’s Help A Bulldog Out

Showcase

It’s Finally Time for Finals

• Let’s Help A Bulldog Out

Showcase

Feliz Navidad

• Let’s Help A Bulldog Out

Showcase

Net Neutrality and You

• Let’s Help A Bulldog Out

Showcase

Senior Rumors Dispelled

• Let’s Help A Bulldog Out

Opinion

Before Juliet – A Review

The Student News Site of Royse City High School
Let’s Help A Bulldog Out