The Bulldog Byte

Filed under News, Opinion

“IT” Will Get You

Back to Article
Back to Article

“IT” Will Get You

IT is a critically acclaimed Stephen King novel, and the new movie is an amazing addition to Stephen King adaptations. Directed by Andrés Muschietti, this film has some beautiful cinematography in it. I found that there was no expense spared to bring the audience stunning shot after stunning shot, all while maintaining the tense mood of the film.  There were no B-rated special effects or trite narratives. I found myself sinking in and enjoying the movie for more than just another horror film because it felt more like an experience. You follow around these teenagers in their day-to-day lives, following their personal and mundane problems as well as their supernatural horror. It takes the reader from point A to B to C with a taut and razor-wire tension the entire time. You’re always found on the edge of your seat because you feel a constant fear of death for each of the characters, or sometimes find yourself wishing it upon them.

The cast is well-chosen and full of not-very-well-known actors. At least I feel this way about all of them with the exception of Finn Wolfhard, child star of the Netflix original Stranger Things. His presence in the film made me too comfortable. His comic relief was well received, but I knew the actor too well for his role. Speaking of comic relief, some of the scares actually had me laughing out loud in the theatre due to the pure ridiculousness of the moment. I don’t know if that had been the intention, but I wasn’t always the only one laughing. Comic relief is also riddled throughout this movie. It’s almost like a comedy-horror. (Back to the cast now)  They all delivered

Scene from the movie “IT”

outstanding performances in the film and never disappointed. It has been interesting to see all of the young talent in the film industry with youths from the recent teen-based cast tv-series and movies. For example, both Stranger Things and  IT hold primarily teenage casts. Onto IT, Bill Skarsgård is the creepy clown you’ll see numerous times across the span of the 2 hour and 15 minute film. His performance was stellar. His eyes bring a primal and beastial look to the character. I’d even say he could rival a Tim Curry performance. (Please don’t hate me for that)

I found myself disappointed with the opening scene of the movie where little Georgie chases his boat. It sets an expectation through the rest of the film that it does not necessarily maintain or meet. The new IT film did satisfy me in its lack of PG-13 moments, however. The director stayed true to the R-rated definition and did not shy away from child violence. In fact, I would say that child violence could easily describe a majority of the movie. However, there is one R-rated moment that I can think of that the director restrained from adding. In the end of the childhood chapter in the Stephen King novel, the children are lost in the sewer and (without any major spoilers) decide that group sex is the only way they can find the exit. This does not appear in the movie, for obvious reasons. To further prove why it wasn’t shown in the film, I found an 

article talking about the renewed attention on the Stephen King novel and that scene in particular. King has faced a barrage of media questions over his decision to add in that several-page scene to his novel. To which he had to say,

It’s fascinating to me that there has been so much comment about that single sex scene and so little about the multiple child murders. That must mean something, but I’m not sure what.”

This movie of course still does not meet the standards of the Stephen King novel, but it has been the best attempt so far. For example, Pennywise is not made out to be the primordial evil he actually is, rather he is simply the evil in the story. There are also many psychedelic drug trips in the novel that aren’t quite described as so in the movie; however, I did find the premise very quaint and enjoyable. There was no monster simply scaring to scare. Pennywise needed to scare. He feeds off the fear, and it makes his victims more vulnerable to him. All in all, I’d say it’s a very refreshing horror movie with quality moments without being trite in a market oversaturated with cliché horror films.

I give it a 3.75/5

I’m feeling a strong 7 to light 8 on this one.

4 Comments

4 Responses to ““IT” Will Get You”

1. Ms Thomason on September 13th, 2017 10:20 am

I can’t wait to see this!!!

2. Maddie Lance on September 13th, 2017 10:23 am

This is awesome! I love Stephen King, hopefully the movie is as great as the book!

3. Angelina Bell on September 13th, 2017 10:25 am

I have seen the original ” IT ” and loved to finally get to see a clown movie for once in my life. I’m very excited to look forward to seeing the new ” IT “by Stephen King.

4. Kayla palma on September 13th, 2017 11:16 am

Saw it the other day and it was great totally recommend y’all to watch it!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• “IT” Will Get You

Opinion

“Mrs. Packard”

• “IT” Will Get You

Showcase

An American Crisis

• “IT” Will Get You

Showcase

We’ve got Spirit!

• “IT” Will Get You

Showcase

Valentine’s Day: A Day to Love or Hate?

• “IT” Will Get You

Showcase

Who needs PROM when you have MORP?

• “IT” Will Get You

Showcase

It’s Finally Time for Finals

• “IT” Will Get You

Showcase

Feliz Navidad

• “IT” Will Get You

Showcase

Net Neutrality and You

• “IT” Will Get You

Showcase

Senior Rumors Dispelled

• “IT” Will Get You

Opinion

Before Juliet – A Review

The Student News Site of Royse City High School
“IT” Will Get You