The Bulldog Byte

Filed under News, Showcase

Mexico’s Earthquake Hits Home

September 19, 1985. The day that an 8.0 magnitude Earthquake hit Mexico City killing at least 9,500 people, causing millions of dollars worth of damage and collapsing more than 500 buildings some being not only hospitals, banks, hotels, and schools, but homes and neighborhoods.

Eduardo Verdugo
A construction worker searches a building that collapsed after an earthquake, in the Roma neighborhood of Mexico City, Tuesday, Sept. 19, 2017. A magnitude 7.1 earthquake has rocked central Mexico, killing at least 55 people as buildings collapsed in plumes of dust and thousands fled into the streets in panic. (AP Photo/Eduardo Verdugo)

Exactly 32 years later, on September 19, 2017, a 7.1 magnitude earthquake hit Mexico once again. Mere minutes later, it was televised on most, if not all news outlets, showing its’ destruction. There had been the collapse of more than 40 buildings, more than 300 dead, and almost 3,000 known to be injured.

When Dalia Estrada, Gamma house secretary, turned on the TV, she saw the devastation and didn’t waste any time. She immediately took her phone out and started calling her family in Mexico. Her heart was beating rapidly in her chest, she couldn’t even concentrate, and the phone trembled in her hands. She was so worried about her family members.

“I felt hopeless to not be there with my family,” she remembers.

After talking to various family members, she received both good and bad news. Her family was okay, but would have to find a safe place to live while the government and volunteers finished cleaning the wreckage left by the infamous earthquake. The major incident was hearing her cousin’s daughter had been caught up in the rubble created during the shaking. But she was informed that everyone had gotten out safe and sound.

“I was happy that they were safe, but I felt bad that I wasn’t there to help with the damage,” Ms. Estrada remembers.

This is only one family of the thousands affected and not all of them ended as happily. Many people lost loved ones, their homes, their livelihoods. This earthquake will be remembered by more than just the people affected but by the world who had watched just how dangerous mother nature can be.