The Bulldog Byte

Filed under News, Showcase, Student Life

Senior Rumors Dispelled

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Rumors Dispelled

The rumor mill at Royse City High School is running strong. This past week there were several rumors being spread about seniors possibly not having senior quotes in the yearbook, the senior trip being cancelled, and other senior “perks” being taken away because of the actions of some of the seniors at the pep rally on Friday, Nov. 3rd.

Principal Dr. Sean Walker still has no idea where they started, but positively dispelled the rumors that there will not be senior quotes in the yearbook. According to Walker, “The senior quotes this year will be in an adjusted format. None of the rumors are true.”  

As for the actions of the seniors at the pep rally, including throwing massive amounts of baby powder int the air, triggering the fire alarms for almost an hour, Walker believes that the seniors had no intent of setting off the fire alarms and believes it was all in good school spirit.

Walker stated, “If we were really upset up about it, we would have addressed all the kids who actually threw powder in the air. So some of the rumors like ‘Oh they are cancelling prom’ and ‘‘They’re cancelling the senior trip’ … All of those are not true.”

He added that he couldn’t get mad at a group of students for showing their amazing Bulldog spirit. He stated that the general school spirit at the high school has dramatically improved in the last 3 years. During his first year, he explained, the pep rallies were not  as good as they are now because the kids didn’t have a lot of spirit and many people didn’t participate.

“I’m actually quite proud of how much enthusiasm the seniors had,” Walker said.

As far as the rumors go about not having a senior trip this year, they are also not true and Walker stated that as far as he knows, the seniors are having their annual trip, including the accompanying fundraisers. When asked, “Will the seniors have a say on where they go?,” his response was, “Something like that. We will have to see how it plays out as far as what locations sound attractive and what locations are reasonable.”

Student Council Sponsor Leah Voth added, “The senior trip is not fully determined yet. We don’t know if it is going to be onsite or offsite.”

So obviously the pep rally wasn’t as big of a deal as some of the students believed, except for the fact that it’s a clear indication that the school spirit here at Royse City High School is on the rise. Walker even tried to prevent future rumors, stating that from now on, “If anything occurs, I would like to think that the kids who did it would be the only ones punished.”

So all in all, the seniors will keep their perks and it is believed that there was no malice at all in our senior’s hearts. The “take-away” here is that perhaps we should all take more caution when accepting everything we hear. It would definitely save a lot of minds from anxiety and frustration.

And also, of course, “GO BULLDOGS!”

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Senior Rumors Dispelled”

1. Shirley Lancaster on November 9th, 2017 12:02 pm

Good job reporting and the photos are great!

2. Christie W Watts on November 9th, 2017 12:10 pm

Thank you for sharing!

3. Kim on November 9th, 2017 3:02 pm

This is great!! I️ love that Dr Walker is so open minded to the good intentions of the seniors. I️ can tell you where some of the rumors came from-some is the teachers! One in particular was pretty hateful about it.
    What it boils down to was an awesome, creative, well timed show of school spirit that will leave lasting fun memories for those kids for years to come!! Go Dawgs!! Class of 2018!!

4. Walter Bird on November 12th, 2017 11:08 pm

That pep rally was definitely one of the greatest I’ve ever seen. I actually fell down laughing when the fire alarms went off. This article was great by the way, wish I could have pumped out stories like this last year while I was on the staff.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Senior Rumors Dispelled

Opinion

“Mrs. Packard”

• Senior Rumors Dispelled

Showcase

An American Crisis

• Senior Rumors Dispelled

Showcase

We’ve got Spirit!

• Senior Rumors Dispelled

Showcase

Valentine’s Day: A Day to Love or Hate?

• Senior Rumors Dispelled

Showcase

Who needs PROM when you have MORP?

• Senior Rumors Dispelled

Showcase

It’s Finally Time for Finals

• Senior Rumors Dispelled

Showcase

Feliz Navidad

• Senior Rumors Dispelled

Showcase

Net Neutrality and You

• Senior Rumors Dispelled

Opinion

Before Juliet – A Review

• News

“Before Juliet” A Twisted Tale

The Student News Site of Royse City High School
Senior Rumors Dispelled