The Bulldog Byte

Filed under News, Showcase

Net Neutrality and You

Back to Article
Back to Article

Net Neutrality and You

On December 14, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) will vote on whether or not net neutrality stays or goes. But what is exactly net neutrality, you might ask? To put it simply, it is the act of keeping the internet, well, neutral. Or unbiased. The Oxford Dictionary defines net neutrality as “the principle that Internet service providers should enable access to all content and applications regardless of the source, and without favoring or blocking particular products or websites.” For example, ISPs (internet service providers) cannot purposely slow down or block certain websites. If net neutrality goes away, ISPs can block or slow down the speed unless consumers pay a fee, and streaming sites like Netflix, Hulu and Twitch will be blocked unless paid for in a bundle. The same applies to social media and music services.

Two years ago, the debate was brought up, but President Obama enacted Title II, which kept net neutrality. However, now the U.S. has a new FCC chairman, Ajit Pai, so the question of  net neutrality is being brought up again. Pai wants to get rid of net neutrality and allow ISPs to charge access to the internet. You can pay for faster internet, but you can access any website you want without being charged extra. Many people are nervous that if net neutrality goes away certain ISPs will censor websites using this ability, limiting freedom on the internet.

Cade Baridon, RCHS junior, stated, “I agree that every website should work at the same pace and I also agree that some things should be blocked because they provide that service so they have the ability to charge a fee for that.”

Cora Giorgi, RCHS senior, agrees. “I am absolutely in favor of net neutrality because it will affect my favorite Youtubers.” She explained, “They won’t be able to upload certain content, which will affect how they get paid. Because if they can’t get their content, then they can’t get likes or views, which is how they get paid.”

However, not everyone wants net neutrality to stay. Craig Silliman, a Verizon Vice President, is against it, stating on motherboard.vice.com that “The FCC is not talking about killing the net neutrality rules. And in fact, not we nor any other ISP are asking them to kill the open internet rules. All they’re doing is looking to put the open internet rules in an enforceable way on a different legal footing. Their freedom on the Internet stays, but it will be a little different.”

He added that “ISPs are the ones that are mostly against net neutrality, so trying to reduce backlash is a good business strategy.”

If you are someone other than an Internet provider, you are probably “for” net neutrality. So until the FCC vote on December 14th, if you want to make a difference, you can call Congress by using the website https://www.battleforthenet.com/. It will give you a script and a number to call Congress so that your opinion can be heard.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Net Neutrality and You”

1. Maddie lance on December 7th, 2017 10:18 am

Love the exclaimer at the top!!!! Very well written, also love the link to go sign off on stopping the passing of this. Love it!

2. Meredith McCoy on December 7th, 2017 10:19 am

How have I never heard about this before now?? Love the story!!

3. Leslie Mejia on December 7th, 2017 10:42 am

I never heard or knew about Net Neutrality until I read this story, and now that I know about it I wouldn’t want to pay extra to get on a website.

4. Alyssa on December 7th, 2017 10:47 am

Wow. Now the government wants to take away net neutrality too? Everything is so expensive nowadays, and the government doesn’t help make that any easier for us. A majority of them are just leeches that drain us of our money. Not everyone will be able to afford internet bundles and whatnot, and that’s unfair to the people. Net neutrality should stay.

5. Kerian Jackson on December 7th, 2017 10:56 am

This was a good story with great information.I love the way when you click on the story you see a quote that says you have to pay an extra fee to proceed.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Net Neutrality and You

Opinion

“Mrs. Packard”

• Net Neutrality and You

Showcase

An American Crisis

• Net Neutrality and You

Showcase

We’ve got Spirit!

• Net Neutrality and You

Showcase

Valentine’s Day: A Day to Love or Hate?

• Net Neutrality and You

Showcase

Who needs PROM when you have MORP?

• Net Neutrality and You

Showcase

It’s Finally Time for Finals

• Net Neutrality and You

Showcase

Feliz Navidad

• Net Neutrality and You

Showcase

Senior Rumors Dispelled

• Net Neutrality and You

Opinion

Before Juliet – A Review

• News

“Before Juliet” A Twisted Tale

The Student News Site of Royse City High School
Net Neutrality and You