The Bulldog Byte

Filed under News, Showcase

We’ve got Spirit!

Back to Article
Back to Article

We’ve got Spirit!

The students and staff at Royse City High School make up a loud and proud school, and we love to show it. One of the student body’s favorite ways of showing their pride is during our pep rallies. Students and staff come together and organize fun themes, games, and shows to perform and play to get the students hyped and cheering on our organizations.

There are many aspects that are expected by students and staff during these events. For example,  the RCHS Bulldog Band is generally on the floor with their marching horns and flip folders ready to play the stand tunes often played at football games. They make sure there is never a moment left in any amount of boring silence. The choir also sings the National Anthem, and then there has always been at least one wonderful Golden Debs performance as well as one from the  RCHS Cheerleaders. The loudest class competition makes a reappearance at the end of every pep rally. It’s a loud few minutes for sure.

Pep rally are given a theme that is decided by our very own student council.

Ms. Voth, the STUCO director, explained that the last pep rally was “pirate themed, because we thought that it would be fun and creative.”

It was put together to recognize our spring sports teams. We got to hear from the track, soccer, tennis, golf, baseball, and basketball teams. The main focus was indeed for the basketball team since they were to be competing against Highland Park, and we are proud to say that we did indeed beat them that night. But many other entertaining events took place at this particular pep rally. We held a relay race for to bring awareness to the upcoming volleyball fundraiser, where the team captains were charged with folding a cardstock boat and blowing it across a bin of water, walking the plank in a pirate mascot hat and a pool tube and then popping balloon shaped “cannon balls.”

For many, these pep rallies are places of joy and excitement, but for some they can be rather bittersweet. For some this might be the last pep rally they experience, and for many of our athletes they will be playing their last games together.

As it becomes the end of their last year as high schoolers, we got some insight on how they are feeling about the end of their high school education. Fern, a senior soccer player, explained “I’m a little bit saddened.” Fern explained, “We’ve been playing since 8th grade. That’s pretty much how we all became friends and this tight group of brothers. Knowing this is our last season and we’re all going our separate ways and it’s really sad.”

Ashley Lankford said, “Four years ago we were just freshmen and now we’re seniors.”  

When asked if she knew about the ability of another pep rally, Ms. Voth said that, “Dr.Walker has said that we could very likely have a one more, it will probably be fine arts and groups being recognized. More of a celebratory for kids that win awards. It’s gonna be a little bit different, more like a spring celebration kinda thing.”

Pep rallies are a wonderful place to bring us together and support each other to excel and be the best Bulldogs, we can’t wait for the next one!