The Bulldog Byte

Filed under News, Showcase

An American Crisis

Back to Article
Back to Article

An American Crisis

School shootings have really shaken our country and have become all too real for students of the present day due to too many recent tragedies to even list. Since 2018 began, there have been 18 school shootings. Out of these two were suicides, three were accidental shootings, and nine incidents had shots fired but no injuries or deaths.

“School shootings are not the new normal, despite statistics that stretch the truth,” according to a recent USA Today article.

With all of these shootings growing more and more common, students and teachers are becoming fearful of such events taking place at their own schools. There has been much debate and controversy as to what should be done to protect students and faculty and what should be done to prevent these horrible events from happening to bring peace to the mind of students, faculty, and parents.

Some suggest that there should be stricter gun laws, such as a higher age limit to get a permit, raising gun prices, making more ways to make sure that guns can be owned by those who are mentally healthy and stable, and to ban semi-automatics. Others have brought up higher school security. Talk includes more well trained security guards, metal detectors, and airport-like security.

Perhaps one of the most controversial would be the idea to train and arm some teachers to conceal carry.

Donald Trump tweeted on February 24th that “Armed Educators (and trusted people who work within a school) love our students and will protect them. Very smart people. Must be firearms adept & have annual training. Should get yearly bonus. Shootings will not happen again – a big & very inexpensive deterrent. Up to States.”

When we asked people what their views on arming teachers was, one security guard said, “They don’t have the proper training, and if a student wants to take a gun, then they’ll get it and that potentially becomes a hazard.”

Many teachers are curious about where they would get the money to properly be trained and own guns; since they can’t even afford basic supplies such as pencils. Another teacher agreed saying, “I think it is a very irresponsible idea for a couple of reasons. First, it’s because teachers are in the classroom specifically to teach. We are not also part time security. Additionally, there are better solutions to the problem. You don’t want to use guns to fix a gun problem. (Guns) would give the illusion of safety.”

While some teachers and students would feel uncomfortable with teachers being armed with guns, one student feels that if teachers were to be armed, “then if somebody came into the school with a gun, only one teacher would die trying to kill them, rather than a whole bunch of kids dying.”

With many different arguments and possible solutions, we all  hope that something can be done, and done quickly, to end these types of tragedies, stop these needless innocent deaths, and quell the fear in the minds of teacher, parents, and students.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “An American Crisis”

1. Billy Jones on May 1st, 2018 10:20 am

the government must take action

2. Paula on May 1st, 2018 10:24 am

The article is really good and I hope the people in charge of making rules on what we should do, makes rules quickly.

3. Emily on May 1st, 2018 10:32 am

It’s really is upsetting how our generation has become. Hopefully, things will get better, and we’ll be able to resolve this conflict.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• An American Crisis

Opinion

“Mrs. Packard”

• An American Crisis

Showcase

We’ve got Spirit!

• An American Crisis

Showcase

Valentine’s Day: A Day to Love or Hate?

• An American Crisis

Showcase

Who needs PROM when you have MORP?

• An American Crisis

Showcase

It’s Finally Time for Finals

• An American Crisis

Showcase

Feliz Navidad

• An American Crisis

Showcase

Net Neutrality and You

• An American Crisis

Showcase

Senior Rumors Dispelled

• An American Crisis

Opinion

Before Juliet – A Review

• News

“Before Juliet” A Twisted Tale

The Student News Site of Royse City High School
An American Crisis