The Bulldog Byte

Filed under News, Showcase, Student Life

A Whole New World Of Imagination

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Whole New World Of Imagination

The Royse City High School Mighty Bulldog Band recently took to the turf and performed a stellar show at the Glenrose Stadium with the theme “Pure Imagination.” Music features included songs from “How to Train your Dragon,” “Alice in Wonderland,” and “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.” Excitement filled the air as our mighty Bulldogs prepared diligently for the competition. Practicing meticulously throughout the week and putting forth their best marching skills, the Bulldog Band was destined for excellence. Royse City placed 1st overall in 5A bands and Royse City’s Color guard also placed 1st overall.

Preparation time for our Bulldogs was nothing to take lightly. Starting the week with a three-hour after school practice, why, sometimes the band had done as many as six impossible things before breakfast. At the daybreak of each morning, the band was out and ready to attack. Throughout each football game, each warm up, and each stand tune, it all coordinated to the victory they claimed that Saturday.

Carissa Duran, a sophomore trumpet player in the band said, “Practicing has been nothing but intense. It’s all to prepare us to do our best. They (the directors) were a lot more serious than before. Lots of repeating and cleaning the same thing over and over again. And it paid off.”

Brennan Reimer, junior and alto saxophone player, explained further about band, “I think we’ve grown from this individually. Working, planning, practicing, giving it your all, 1,000%. As a band, hopefully we’ll be making more history as the year progresses.”

In previous years, Royse City Band was not as fortunate in placing so highly. But that did not diminish their spirits. I’ve heard tell that what you imagine sometimes comes true. This year the band opened up a whole new world of imagination, extending the guard by almost twice the original size of previous years and even adding the legendary “pre-show.” As the pre-show begins, the color guard provides visuals for the opening program.

Senior and veteran guard member,Ximena Martinez, voiced her opinion on the appearance. “For a performance, your mind has to be set. It’s challenging because we don’t just throw flags and catch them. It’s having to have your counts down, to perform, to march in time. Just like any other sport, we work hard. Like Ross said, ‘Nothing is hard, only new.’  If you’re new, it’s going to be hard; it’s not the easiest thing in the world.”

Victoria Cadungog, a junior marimba player said, “The pre-show is pretty cool! Usually the front ensemble faces the audience and doesn’t really know what’s happening behind us. But this year we were able to look at what the band was doing behind us since we were able to kneel behind our boards. Being able to see what the band and color guard were doing on the field during the pre-show made the experience pretty unique.” 

“Where should I go?” Alice once asked. And the Cheshire Cat replied,  “That depends on where you want to end up.” It would be impossible for the seniors this year to ever predict they’d place first as freshman in the blazing sun of July at band camp. Glenrose was their last marching competition before UIL.

A number of seniors this year have been marching and performing for 4 years now and continue to reach for greatness. A senior as well as bass clarinet player, Ryan Earnhart, takes us on a magical adventure down the river of chocolate milk with his solo this year. He is accompanied by Drum Major Kathryn Phan and K.C. Crawford, clarinet. After the first couple of times, Ryan tells us he isn’t nervous, he just wants to get up there and play. Although Ryan’s solo has more than meets the eye, his bass clarinet solo is the first of its kind in Royse City’s band. Ryan shared, “As a senior getting 1st place, it’s incredible knowing it’s the last competition you’ll do for a senior year. To know as a senior you can say, ‘That was the year WE won first place,’ is such a great great feeling.”  

“At the end of the day I was satisfied with it and everything that was with it,” Ximenah said. 

A resident of Royse City nearly his whole life, Uriel Frias, sophomore clarinet, told about about his feelings during and after the competition. “Prelims was okay, but finals was pretty great, the best run for the band. I felt he [Band Director Mr. Fullwood]  was proud and proud of the improvement. He was so happy.”  He continued, “I’ve been a citizen of Royse City almost my whole life and so any time something big like that happens in Royse City, I get very happy and proud.” 

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality, as music is the only way to speak when there are no words left to say. Royse City’s Mighty Bulldog Band has traveled deep into the rabbit hole of success. Working to achieve, striving for perfection, and ending in nothing but victory.  Alice once asked, “How long is forever?” and the White Rabbit humbly replied, “Sometimes, just one second.” Just one more rep, just one more rehearsal, just the need to get in that one last time; until they realize that almost as soon as they walked on the field, the performance is over. The Bulldog Band was destined for excellence.

It was not just a show; it was a guide to a whole new world of imagination.

1 Comment

One Response to “A Whole New World Of Imagination”

1. Tyree Neal on October 30th, 2016 1:36 pm

This is a very well written Young Lady, your sentence structure was on point. And I love the “Cheshire Cat” comparison that you utilize to solidify your stance at this particular hour. It was also over the majorities IQ level. Well DONE, keep up the good work.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• A Whole New World Of Imagination

Opinion

“Mrs. Packard”

• A Whole New World Of Imagination

Showcase

An American Crisis

• A Whole New World Of Imagination

Showcase

We’ve got Spirit!

• A Whole New World Of Imagination

Showcase

Valentine’s Day: A Day to Love or Hate?

• A Whole New World Of Imagination

Showcase

Who needs PROM when you have MORP?

• A Whole New World Of Imagination

Showcase

It’s Finally Time for Finals

• A Whole New World Of Imagination

Showcase

Feliz Navidad

• A Whole New World Of Imagination

Showcase

Net Neutrality and You

• A Whole New World Of Imagination

Showcase

Senior Rumors Dispelled

• A Whole New World Of Imagination

Opinion

Before Juliet – A Review

The Student News Site of Royse City High School
A Whole New World Of Imagination