The Bulldog Byte

Filed under News, Showcase, Student Life

RCHS’ s The Crucible set to Bewitch Audiences

Royse City High School’s Theatre Department has been working tirelessly on their show ‘The Crucible’ by Arthur Miller. The story follows the Salem Witch Trials of 1692. Several young girls, primarily Abigail Williams and Betty Parris, claim to be afflicted by witchcraft. Throughout the show the young girls accuse the people of Salem with witchcraft.

The theatre department has spent three long months rehearsing and staging their take on the show. “Since this is my first year being stage manager it has been different than any past experience.”, Junior stage manager Mikki Hopkins says.  “I without a doubt have become a lot closer with many more people. I’m sad to see the seniors go but so excited about the new freshman who are experiencing the amazing world of theatre. This show has made us closer as a family and a company and I am excited to see the my family take the stage tonight and show the people of Royse City what we have.”

We decided to sit down with RCHS Theatre director Holly Stone and ask her about how directing this show has been.

“I think we’re being honest to the story and we’re not all about the frill and the huge sets or anything like that. I just wanted it to be simple and about the story. Because drama in its essence is about telling stories, it’s not all about the million dollar sets or expensive costumes. I casted the show by watching a lot of auditions and looked at people who could change and grow and were trying because trying is better than not trying at all. I would rather work with someone who is trying hard rather than someone who only gives me ten percent. I’m always looking for those types of people. Everyone in the company has a lot of great potential. I am so proud of everyone’s growth from the beginning of the show to the end.”

Their shows will take place November 10,11, and 12th in Royse City High School’s PAC. Tickets will be $3 for students with their IDs at the door and $5 for adults. Please come out and support your theatre.

Go Bulldogs!!!screenshot-2016-11-10-at-1-03-21-pmscreenshot-2016-11-10-at-1-07-29-pm